Dropbox

Last year, my class and I explored the use of Dropbox as a means of sharing files, rather than emailing back and forth. We set up a class account and everyone used the same log on details to access the same folder. That worked well, but this year, I wanted to set up things a little differently, so each student had their own space to upload and back up work to. As a result, I set up a number of folders, one being the main class folder that everyone has access to; the remaining being individual student folders that are only accessible by that student and myself. Each student has their own Dropbox login, so ultimately, they have two shared folders, as well as any other folders they’ve created to back up their work. This has been a lifesaver on many occasions, particularly when students have had to restore their iPads. I will admit it did take time to set things up and individually invite each student to their shared folder, but in the end, I believe this arrangement has made accessing student work more manageable.

In hindsight, I would invite my students to their shared folders first, before their accounts have been set up, so I’d receive additional storage. With a class of 24 students, this equates to, potentially, an extra 6gb of space (250mb per new user).