Easy Blog Jr – Week 1 Reflection

After a week of using Easy Blog Jr, I can confidently say that I think the app is fantastic! As I’ve stated in previous posts, it is so simple to use.

rubysmovieI truly love how easy it is to post to my class blog. I love that you have the option of setting categories in profile settings; in my case, this is each student’s name.Β In one week, almost all of my class posted to our blog. That is amazing! And each post is categorised, meaning visitors can click on a name under the “categories” heading to filter results. I’ve already had a parent access our blog and comment on her child’s video using this method. She was thrilled to see her daughter’s work. Another parent mentioned that she loved the way the students spoke over their pictures. It meant more to her than a sentence or two under an image.

These comments got me thinking about how to use my class blog and the app for another purpose. Initially, my blog was to share with parents the learning that’s happening in my room, but by categorising each post, to a degree, I am also creating a digital portfolio for each of my students. We have student led conferences in a couple of weeks. How great will it be for my students to share our class blog with their parents, if they haven’t already done so at home, filter the posts to just theirs, and speak about what they were learning when they took each photo. Their digital portfolios are being created by them during class when they are completing activities, not during a stand alone “work on your digital portfolio” session. They don’t need to sift through work samples to select to include, they are rather sharing their learning journey as it happens. Students are commenting on their work sample at the time they are creating it. This app allows you to capture real-time learning. How awesome is that!? πŸ™‚

I cannot express how flattered I am to have been contacted by one of the app developers to trial this app. I can see its potential and will continue to use it and sing it praise throughout the year. I’ve asked a few colleagues to trial the app in their classes too. I look forward to hearing how they go and sharing their experience with you and the developer as well.

1. Hi Michelle,
    I have set up the template for my blog on Edublogs, I am now trying to add my students but it will not accept my URL? Did you have to do anything special to join the two? Also did you sign up to the Pro version of Edublogs to allow the voice over pictures function and one last question, did you need to create a class email so that the children could submit their posts? Any assistance that you could offer would be greatly appreciated! I am very keen to use this in my Prep classroom this year. Thanks and great job!

2. Hi πŸ™‚ Thanks for your comment and kind words! Great job in setting up a class blog and trying to link Easy Blog Jr πŸ™‚ I set everything up on my iPad and let my students post away. I approved their posts first, though πŸ™‚ The app is very easy to use… and my students’ parents’ loved reading our updates πŸ™‚
    My blog is a global2 blog, so it was really easy for me to set up student profiles using Easy Blog Jr. I’m thinking you may need the developer’s other app, Easy Blogger Jr, for edublogs??? Can I please suggest you contact the developers? They are really nice and will probably give you a promo code so you can download the right app to link your blog to for free πŸ™‚ Please say you have been in touch with me and this is what I recommended you do. I will also send a message to one of the developers to share your situation πŸ™‚
    You can contact the developers via the following form: http://www.theeasyappcompany.com/support/contact-us/
    Best of luck! Please let me know how you go πŸ™‚