My Programming (Coding) Journey

I’ve been reading and hearing a lot about coding lately and am trying to think when it was, over the past 5+ years, that I actually stopped incorporating coding in class with my students…

I remember when I began teaching in 1997 teaching my grade 2 students how to design web pages using html and how to create multimedia projects in MicroWorlds. In the years following, with students in grades 3 to 6, I continued to incorporate html and MircoWorlds programming into my learning and teaching program. I recall introducing my students to Scratch, too, when it was first released…

microworldsscratch

So why, more recently, have I moved past sharing a passion of mine with my students? Could it be because of an overcrowded curriculum? Maybe I’ve had a greater focus on creativity through the means of graphic design, movie making, song composition and spatial relations (Eden, Minecraft). Either way, it’s time to change, it’s time to get back in touch with a passion of mine.

Not many people know that I actually majored in engineering mathematics and computers in my Bachelor of Education (Primary) degree, and programming and multimedia design in my Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Education degree. I studied computer science during my secondary education too. I actually recall my friends in my year 10 computer science class joking that I wrote the text book because the programs I jotted down in my notebook always worked when we typed them up and ran them on the computer. I guess being considered “talented” in mathematics enabled programming in the “top down” approach easy for me to understand and apply. It was something I enjoyed and something that came natural to me.

Over the years, I have programmed scripts using a variety of languages, including:

• Logo
  • Pascal
  • Virtual Basic
  • C++
  • MicroWorlds
  • Scratch

Logo programming is a favourite of mine and I can still remember my grade 6 teacher, back in 1985, introducing my class to the “turtle”. Isn’t it amazing that almost 30 years later, the logo language is still embraced and widely used in schools… and it is still something I remember!

Throughout my programming journey, I would have to say that Seymour Papert has had the greatest impact on me. Whilst studying my Post Grad, I read a number of Papert’s texts. If you are interested, I highly recommend Mindstorms and The Children’s Machine. Papert’s take on the constructivist approach to learning, whereby students play a more responsible and active role in constructing their own knowledge, really made sense to me. I actually feel this approach has helped me become the teacher I am today. I also believe it is at the core of my teaching.

“The role of the teacher is to create the conditions for invention rather than provide ready-made knowledge.”

Seymour Papert

Another quote of Papert’s that I live by is “teach for one day, not just tomorrow.” I remember reading these words in an article online where Papert discussed the need to look beyond providing students with the skills they need to thrive and survive in society in the short term… He was suggesting to move beyond that, to the long term… to the future. Again, these words have stuck with me and, again, I believe it is a quote that helps guide me as a 21st Century educator.